Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Book Review: The Help

Back in February I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I know it was a while ago but I wanted to post some of my reviews of my favorite books I've read.

Many of us have seen the movie and probably (hopefully) thought it was amazing. I know that I personally thought it was phenomenal (this might be partially because I have a lady crush on Emma Stone). Anywhos, I imagine most people reading this are thinking “There was a book?” and yes there was, and let me tell you, it was bout 10000x better than the movie. Don’t get me wrong I loved the movie and it was great for what it was but after reading the book I can see where everything was dialed down. The book is so enhanced compared to the movie. All the details about every relationship are explored further, making the drama of the novel all the more exciting and daring.
In the afterword, the author Kathryn Stockett talks about how it’s difficult to try to capture the voice of an African American maid during the 1960s but she does so beautifully. She writes their voices in a way that is authentic but not offensive.

All in all, the movie made me cry and the book would have too if I hadn’t been in class. It’s a good thing too because the book was far more emotional than the movie.

Overall score: A+ for the amazing story of empowerment and courage

Bisous mes cheris***

No comments:

Post a Comment