Monday, December 9, 2013

Cabaret in Dublin

When my friends and I were in Dublin, we got to see a production of Cabaret at the Gaiety Theatre. I didn't know anything about the musical before seeing it, which is usually how I like to go into musicals, other than it was famous and worth seeing. If you're like me and don't tend to like knowing the plots of things before seeing or reading them, you should stop here. If you like knowing what you're getting yourself into, go ahead and keep reading.


Cabaret is about an American writer who arrives in Berlin during the 1930s when the Nazi party was growing strong. He meets a dancer from a Cabaret and they start living together.

I only knew one song from this musical and that was thanks to Glee, sad yes I know, but I loved the song so I had high hopes for the rest of the music. The main character in the production is the Emcee and this actor sings most of the songs; they are hilarious. The musical is not exactly bright and cheery so it's nice to get a good laugh when he comes on stage. If you can I would recommend listening to the sound track before you see the show. A lot of the songs the Emcee sings are about the Nazi party and what's happening in the country at the time, so it will make more sense if you can understand everything he's saying.


The story line was extremely well balanced. Like I said before, the plot is not cheerful so without the upbeat music, this would be a very depressing musical. I won't want to give away too much of the storyline, but it is really a very intense show. I highly recommend trying to see it if you get the chance.


Fun fact: The Gaiety Theatre was constructed on my birthday in 1871! Random but it made me smile.

Bisous mes cheris***

No comments:

Post a Comment